13th August 2010.
Always wondering about the meaning behind words oftenly used in the fashion industry? Read on.....
- Fashion Forward- A person more fashionable than most.
- Paisley- A classic,rounded,swirling,and highly detailed pattern.
- Silhouette- Edges or outline of a garment,also,the model or style.
- Buyer- Retail store employee responsible for purchasing the right merchandise,usually for only one or two departments,for the customers.
- Fashion Office- Store's fashion director and staff.
- Trunk Shows- Store events in which a designer or wholesaler will bring an entire collection to show to preferred customers.
- CAD- Computer-aided design.Process of designing garments,prints,and patterns on a computer screen.
- Wholesale- The level of company in the supply chain that produces or contracts for merchandise,which it then sells to retail stores.
- Manufacturing- The actual production of garments.
- Flat patternmaking- Drawing pattern pieces on a flat table.
- Garment Construction- The assembly of a garment;also,the level of quality detail that is included in the garment.
- Fabric construction- Technicalities of thread,yarn size,and machinery used to produce a specific fabric.
- Showroom Sales- A wholesale sales position based in a showroom (usually New York) to show the line to retailers who visit.
- Comission- Percentage of the cost price that a wholesaler gives to the salesperson as payment for having sold merchandise to a retail store.
- Buying Office- An association of retail stores;used to share and provide several different services to the member stores.
- Sketching- Drawing fashion figures or technical renderings of garments.
- Presentation Boards- Visual aids such as pictures,drawings,and swatches mounted on foam-core boards to help illustrate a concept or a line.
- MAC Illustrator- Artist who works on Apple MAC equipment,preparing graphics or illustrations.
- Hangtags- Small paper tags that are attached to garments to communicate information to customers.
- Product Development- Creating a garment from start to finish.Done by wholesalers and private label staff.
To be continued in Part 2.........